I got this recipe from one of my nutrition classes, Fundamentals of Food and Its Preparation.
In this class we learned how to make many types of dishes such as appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts. My classmates and I had to prepare our meals according to everyone’s dietary needs. So everything we made in this class was vegetarian, gluten-free. While this might sway your opinion on this recipe, please try it first! I was disheartened at first too since I enjoy both meat and plant-based food, but I really enjoyed every dish I made in this class. Plus, this is perfect for a light, summer dish.
- 1/2 c = 1/2 c of vegetables and fruit
- ~25 servings
- 1 c lowfat mayonnaise
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 lb 8 oz fresh broccoli, florets
- 4 boxes raisins
- 1 c walnuts, chopped (optional; allergen)
- 1/2 c fresh red onions, sliced
- One big bowl
- Cutting board
- Cutting knife
- 12′ x 20′ x 2 1/2′ pan
- Wooden spoon for mixing
- Make dressing first. Do this by combining mayonniase, sugar, and vinegar. Mix well.
- Then cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Add the dressing and mix.
- Add raisins, walnuts and onions to broccoli mixture. Stir to coat all pieces with dressing. Spread mixture into pan for a depth of 2′ or less.
- Cool salad to 41 deg F or lower within four hours.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂