Garlic & Cheese Popovers
Starting this week we will learn how to bake some tasty, savory treats! These treats will include popovers, biscuits, muffins, and scones. Carbohydrates on top of carbohydrates. But these can be eaten as a small tasty snack, or a side dish to any meal. This week we will learn how to bake popovers. Popovers are like a light muffin made from a thin batter, which rises to form a hollow shell when baked.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups skim or 1% low fat milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cups (3 oz.) grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Egg beater
- Cutting board
- Steak knife for cutting
- Cup measure
- Fork or toothpick
- First things first, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs with egg beater until frothy (light, white bubbles)
- Mince garlic on cutting board with knife
- Combine garlic into the frothy eggs
- Add milk and cheese to eggs and blend on low until smooth
- Add salt and pepper
- Pour mixture into tins
- Bake for 15 minutes in oven, then reduce to 375 degrees F for a few minutes. Keep a close eye on popovers. We do not want to see a collapse due to insufficient baking (egg proteins are not completely coagulated), or a decrease in volume.
- When removed fro the oven, prick popovers with a fork or a toothpick to release steam. If not poked, steam will cause a soggy interior.
- Let cool for 2-5 minutes and enjoy!