Before we begin this summer, I highly encourage you to buy this seasonal special. Eggplants are great for grilling, to use in salads, and super yummy gluten-free meals such as the common eggplant Parmesan.
- Low in calories. Only 57 calories per 8 oz serving
- High in fiber. Contains 7 g fiber per 8 oz serving
- High in potassium. Potassium helps muscles contract and maintain normal blood pressure.
- Rich in antioxidants. An antioxidant is a substance that inhibits cellular instability. Its properties include boosting immune system and preventing disease.
- Source of anthocyanins (the eggplant’s bluish, purple color). The color of eggplant’s skin may reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. It may also benefit immune, eye, brain, and digestive health.
I hope this encourages you to buy more eggplant and implement them in your diet and meals. Examples of eggplant-filled meals include stir fry, eggplant Parmesan, pasta salad, shish-ka-bobs, and many others!